In response to cases of abuse and violence against children in general, and the increasing torment of refugees in Lebanon in particular, protecting children and adolescents was a priority for both KAFA and UNICEF. Children and adolescents bear the heaviest burdens of conflicts, violence, and war, but are rarely supported and hardly ever protected from types of violence they remain subjected to, like: family violence, abuse, early marriage, and many gender-based forms of violence (GBV).
Therefore, in 2013, KAFA and UNICEF started a partnership in a project titled: “Protecting Children and Adolescents from Gender-Based violence”. The project aims at:
Reducing the vulnerabilities of children and caregivers and strengthening their resilience and awareness on their rights and on GBV in general; Addressing child protection violations/GBV through case management and specialized quality services to girls and boys survivors of GBV and abuse (age ranging from 11 to 18 years old); Capacity-building for service providers working with vulnerable children, adolescents, and caregivers affected by the Syrian crisis through developing training and IEC materials, and conducting trainings and coaching session; Strengthening National child protection/GBV systems at central and local levels, including emergency mechanisms.
The main activities and components of the project include:
- Establishing local networks/groups and committees with GBV prevention for safety planning and risk mitigation
- Directing trainings with community members who deal with child protection and GBV cases on the “Citadel Protection Toolkit” to spread awareness on self-protection, early marriage, and enhance life skills
- Creating peer to peer support mechanisms
- Engaging and sensitizing teenagers on SGBV (Sexual and Gender-Based Violence) through art activities (photography, theatre, exhibitions, and performances)
- Providing free case management services, psychological assistance, and legal counseling to children victims of SGBV and abuse in the Adolescent-Friendly Space Center in Bekaa (AFS)
(Address of the AFS: Chtaura, Masnaa Main Road, Khaled Shouman Building near Al Mousawi Institution- 2nd floor- Bekaa, Lebanon. Tel: +961 8 544103)
لقراءة موجز المشروع باللغة العربية، انقر/ي هنا